50+ Ideas For Your Documentary Family Session | Houston Family Photographer
Did your last family portrait session look a little something like this? Your youngest napped on the way there, and woke up cranky and hungry. Your oldest finds the nearest muddy puddle and is 100% focused on jumping into it. Your photographer jumps around, sings, makes weird obnoxious noises making your child smile for just that split second to grab the smile on their camera... hopefully. You leave exhausted, frustrated, ready for a glass of wine (or 3), and the memories associated with those photos are... less than pleasing. You think to yourself, "there's gotta be a better way!" (any mega Friends fans out there??;)
Well boy do I have some great news for you!! There IS a better way!!! Your family portraits no longer need to be forced on your sweet children. And you can actually end up with photos of your children having a genuinely good time, rather than having to beg, bribe, and barter with them for just one good photograph!
Yes, it's possible to make your family photos FUN!!
I am a documentary family photographer because I recognized the fact that most of the children I worked with in my portrait days did not enjoy the experience. And that's exactly what I hope to create for your family. A true, genuine, joyful and fun experience! I love to photograph people in their home, but I also know that people don't always see their lives as exciting, and who wonder just what I would photograph during our session together.
So, I have put together a list of 50+ fun ideas just for you! Just to get your wheels turning on exactly what you and your family can do together to create a fun experience and beautiful memories for years to come! If you have anything to add to the list, feel free to leave a comment below and I'll tack it on. I'd love to hear from you! Alright, we start the list here with...
Ideas for your In-Home Session
- Baking something yummy, and getting a little (or a lot) messy in the process.
- Painting. Whether you use a paint brush or your hands and feet is up to you!
- Sidewalk chalk on the back patio.
- Story time. Pick a favorite book and snuggle up on the couch to read to your children.
- Family dance party. Sometimes you just have to cut loose!
- Bubble bath with extra bubbles!
- Tickle fight.
- Pillow fight.
- Learning to ride a bike.
- Saturday morning routine. Breakfast to naptime on a Saturday morning is sure to be filled with morning hugs and kisses, and maybe some awesome bed head!
- Jumping on the bed.
- Craft time. Let them create!
- Nap time. How cute are they when they're sleeping? I mean, seriously!
- Playing with bubbles in the yard.
- Dressing up as their favorite superhero.
- Having a tea party with your favorite little princess. Complete with tiaras and feather boas.
- Favorite board game.
- Building with legos.
- Playing with hot wheels.
- Building pillow forts.
- Family snuggles in mom and dad's bed.
- Adventures around the neighborhood.
- Your last days in the house you're moving out of.
- Getting settled into your new home!
- Day In The Life Session to capture 4 hours of your every day life from breakfast to lunch or lunch to dinner.
- Make your own band by playing instruments together and being loud!
- Roasting marshmallows on your outdoor fire pit.
- Grandma and Grandpa are in town!
- Backyard camping.
- Grilling up burgers and eating as a family.
- Swimming in your backyard pool.
- Playtime in the backyard. (aka. soccer, trampoline, etc.)
- Doing all of the things they will soon be too big for.
Let's Get Out Of The House
- Ice Cream Time!
- Trip to the library.
- Head over to your favorite playground.
- A day at the zoo.
- Museum adventures.
- Go fishing.
- Picking out the new family fish.
- Adopting your family's newest furbaby.
- A trip to Moody Gardens.
- Building sand castles at the beach.
- Picking strawberries and blueberries at your favorite spot.
- Heading over to your nearby splash pad.
- Family picnic.
- Going out for donuts.
- Shopping trip to Target.
- Picking up family from the airport.
- Going to your kids weekend games.
- Evening at the fair.
- Feeding the ducks.
Do you still think your family is boring? I didn't think so. So let's get together, and capture the memories that make your family so special and unique. There's no better time than now to start celebrating your life, your fun, your love, and your family, so don't let the hustle and bustle of your every day life get in the way of capturing your every day moments. Click the button below, and let's start planning your session today! See you soon :)
Your friendly Houston Family Photographer
from Olive Shoot Photography signing off <3